1.18.2009

On What I've Seen

In 1996 I was a freshman in high school taking journalism with mostly upper classmen. There was one guy that I had several other classes and participated in several extra cirriculars with.
We spent vast amounts of time in discussion far beyond what should be reasonable conversation for people of our youth. One afternoon he arrived in class, pulled out his wallet and removed a sheet of lined notebook paper that had been folded several times. On this sheet of college rule, were his life goals. He had apparently been inspired recently and put down in writing what he hoped to see and do in his lifetime, and encouraged me to do the same. While I never saw what was on his sheet, he helped me begin a list that has grown to many pages. Some I will keep to myself, some are completed, and some will never come to fruition. Though I continue to add to it, these have helped me gauge my life as it has progressed, and in some cases, shown me how far I have strayed. Italic= completed.

Learn to play guitar
Travel on a mission to an impoverished country
Fly in a plane
Ride on a passenger train
Play an instrumental solo
Get published (this used to mean writing, I would take having pictures published too though)
Own a non-traditional home (I guess old storefront, fire station, bus...)
Take both ground & flight school & get pilot's license
Graduate from high school
Graduate from college
Get a master's degree
Take too many pictures
Swim in the ocean - It was the Atlantic
Learn to throw pottery
Get laser eye surgery
See a real palm tree
Sleep on a beach
Act - I'm counting this complete, although, I think its original intentions were professional
Go camping
See a tornado
Go Horseback riding
Keep a journal
Write my eulogy


The second part of the list is places I want(ed) to see.

Colorado
San Fransisco
San Diego
Yellowstone National Park
The Grand Canyon
Louisiana- New Orleans
Chicago
Oak Park and all of the FLW's within
Philadelphia
New York City- specifically on New Year's Eve or Thanksgiving
Washington DC
Monticello
Disneyworld
Prince Edward Island
Fallingwater
The Mayer May house
England- specifically London and Stonehenge
Ireland
Hawaii- Pearl Harbor
Mexico- Chechen Itza
Italy- specifically Rome and Florence
Paris- the Louve and the Eiffel Tower
Japan
Crete and Greece
Talamena Drive
Take a New England fall tour
Take a Mississippi Riverboat tour
Egypt
Natchez, Mississippi

Alright, this list goes on and on so I'll end it here.

No comments: