1.18.2009

Through the Viewfinder

I have, for some time, wanted to try through the viewfinder photography (TTV). This method involves shooting digital photos through the viewfinder of a second camera. Usually, the second camera would be an older film model. This provides you with a frame, some good, old fashioned dirt on the lens, and a softer end product. The natural age variations in the second lens add to the charm.

My sister has what could be described as an absurd number of mid-century box cameras. I grabbed a couple today and headed out around southeast Kansas.

First stop. Niotaze, Kansas.

There is a very old sandstone chapel in this community. I used my digital camera and shot through an argus seventy-five 75mm box camera. I hand-held both cameras which made it difficult to get a clean, straight shot. However, this method did lend some interesting perspectives. In one, where the digital wasn't perfectly aligned, the picture appears warped and distorted.
Here is the chapel straight shot.



















Here are the TTV.





















































I drove on to Peru, Kansas. A highway used to run through the "business district" of this town but, has been re-routed. All that remains are these buildings. Built in 1894 of limestone and what appears to be a sandstone mortar, they have victorian elements such as pressed tin ceilings and screen doors with gingerbread. These buildings also have structural columns (although pilasters would be more correct) made of cast iron and manufactured in Joplin, Missouri.
For the TTV I shot here I used a Kodak duaflex II box camera mounted on a small tripod.

Here is the top portion of the building with the year it was built, along with other information I don't know the meaning of.















Here are the TTV.












From this I learned:
1. I need to find a way to block more light around the lens and viewfinder to prevent washout and prevent reflection.
2. This works better with a macro lens.
3. It's easier to shoot with the film camera mounted to a tripod.
I will definately be trying this again very soon.

1 comment:

Holly Hall said...

Yay! I found your blog! I always wondered what "Through the viewfinder" meant. Now I know. I love these!