5.05.2009

The Social (Networking) Experiment

It has come to light that I have "quit" Facebook (to use Shaun's terminology). This is simply not true. I am taking a much needed break from the addiction that is social networking.
During a conversation (most likely held while inebriated) some years ago, a friend commented that were he to ever feel something as strong as a need for anything (be it liquor, sex, drugs, or what have you) he would immediately give it up. Granted, this entire conversation occurred under a plume of cigarette smoke, but for some reason, the suggestion stuck with me.
I don't claim to have been driven to social networking every night by a need however, I found I was spending far too much of my time enveloped in it. I was (have been) using Facebook as a crutch to keep myself overly connected to a world I was (am) no longer a part of. I have found this has handicapped my ability to aclimate to the real community in which I am now a part of (herein referred to as Hooterville).
So, while I haven't eliminated e-networking from my social reportoire, I have pulled back to give myself space to live in the real world.

No comments: